Thursday, February 18, 2016

T'Wolves: Sam Mitchell Needs to Go

Well, this is probably the best time ever to write this blog about my new hatred for Sam Mitchell as the Timberwolves intern coach.  I've already been disappointed with how he's coached the first half of this horrendous 2015-2016 season.  'Disappointed' doesn't even do my emotions justice.  I don't think I've said the phrase 'What the f**k are you doing?' more times in my life compared to the times I've said it during the last 54 games.  I've played online video games with noobs, experianced fresh-faced teens post embarrassing shit on Facebook, and watched horror movie victims run up the stairs instead of out the front door to safety, and I have still yet to reach the level of 'WTFAYD?'s as I have watching Sam Mitchell coach.

Let's go back in time first, and look at the sunny side of his coaching before I completely tear him down (because, in all honestly, I'm a really nice guy).

First of all, I have his bobblehead.  If that doesn't show that I gave him the best chance possible, I don't know what does. See!


Aw, shucks you guys!  So cute! I used to be a huge fan of Mitchell when he played.  He was a very likable guy (and still probably is). And, he's so nice in this picture, almost like he's saying, "Yo, KG. Have one of my balls."  A true gentleman.

(Side note: I found Chauncey Billups and Terrell Brandon like this...)


(It's like Billups is telling Brandon, "Hush, baby.  I'm right here.  Just let it happen.")  Don't let it happen, Brandon.  There's other ways you can make rent.

Okay, back to my anger.  I gave every chance that I possibly could to Mitchell being the head coach this year after the sad and unfortunate passing of Flip Saunders.  I figured the team needed a former Coach of the Year as well as a familiar face and friend to the franchise.  Sam fit that bill perfectly.  His record with the Raptors gave me the hope he could do the same here.  But I didn't really recall his coaching record there. So, I looked his record up.  156 wins and 189 losses.  Ew.  That's not as great as I expected.  47 and 35 in 2007 when he was coach of the year (I get it, 20 win increase from the year before, but quickly followed up by a 41-41 year).  Ew and ew.

I really wanted him to succeed. Not only because I'm a die hard Timberwolves fan, but, yes, actually, because I'm a die hard Timberwolves fan.  The first part of the season I was extremely happy with the outcome.  The T'Wolves were in almost every game, starting the year 8-6 after being the worst team in the league the year before.  Fuck yeah, guys! Playoffs! We're going all way! I knew it!

17-37.

Ouch.

I haven't felt this hurt since Topher Grace 'portrayed' Venom in Spiderman 3.

I mean, real ouch here.

They way Mitchell coaches the Timberwolves is laughable to me.  And I love laughing.  But, not like this.  I honestly think he is one of the most hypocritical coaches in the league.  He claims to want to get the young guys time so they can grow into better players.  So, that's why he's starting Kevin Garnett (39) and Tayshaun Prince (102) over young guys like Gorgui Dieng (26) and Shabazz Mohammad (23) or Zach LaVine (12)? And he's not just starting Prince, he's keeping him like almost 21:20 minutes a game. WTFAYD?  If you want the young guys to learn, put them in the game.  It doesn't take rocket surgery to know this isn't the way to go about it.

During the game, the commentators keep gushing over how he has one of the top scoring benches in the league.  Yeah, you guys, it's because the bench almost plays the same amount of time as the starters.  What do normal coaches do when a bench player is out performing a starter?  They start over them, that's what. I understand you are depleting your bench, but that's why you rotate guys in and out so you always have at least two starters on the floor at all times, because, you know, that's what normal coaches do.

This brings me to the news I read today.  "Zach LaVine and Tayshaun Prince will be alternated as starters in the Wolves' final 28 games, according to coach Sam Mitchell." WTFAYD. I mean, what? Has any coach done this in the history of the game? Ever? No! No, because they plan on keeping their jobs.  "Hey girl, I really like you.  But, I like this other girl.  So, if it's cool with you I'm going to date you alternate days. Because that's normal. Cool? Cool."

My GAWD.  Stop this.  Right now. Start LaVine. Put Prince on the bench. Or give him box seats, because his 3.3 points a game could be put to better use watching the team awkwardly from far, far away.

No comments: